Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Mean reversion

My previous two posts have been more like diary entries than anything else. Why did I get this urge to post these entries over the last few days? My feeling is that I needed to find an outlet to my 'misery' (only a comic misery mind you - exams don't really matter in the second year:-p).

Of course, other people are there in campus with whom I can share my experiences, but then during exam time, everyone is busy mugging away and there is a natural urge to cut to size something that is looming large over me. Writing provided a natural outlet for me. Once the exam fever has passed, I am back to wanting to write on things more abstract and not related to mundane day-to-day life. Still, I want to get back to writing on some things that I think about.

Once in a CRI (Careers, roles and identity is the actual expansion, though many people call it "Child Relief and I" :-)) Class, I professed a desire to be a writer of comic fiction a la my idol PG Wodehouse. Of course, any idea of comparison is blasphemous. But the thought that one could give happiness to others by providing them a world of fantasy and escape from the drudgery of life was an appealing one. Others soon asked me whether I really meant it as I often come across a person who is serious and incapable of cracking jokes.

My favourite means of expression is written and spoken english and my attempts at humour generally originate from the use of words in a rather literal sense. Still, people tend to label my attempts as Dry jokes or Poor jokes or, as one would put it concisely in Tamil, "Kadi" jokes. Well, I really can't help it. It makes me happy to keep cracking such jokes :-).

What is it about humour that is so appealing? Is it the escapism that it provides? Maybe yes. But fundamentally, it seems to stem from the need for humans to feel good about something. Also, there is nothing better than bringing smiles to people's faces and making jokes is one way of doing that. So what if my jokes are 'kadi' jokes?

English, by the way, is a language which seems to be ideally suited for comic twisting of ordinary words and situations. Of course, I don't know the nuances of most other languages to say whether they are better or not. Still, it can be very elegantly used to represent many comic ideas.

Anyway, enough on language. Here is a line from one of PGW's books - "Ring for Jeeves", if I am not mistaken, that goes like this...

" It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A.B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't."

Can it get better than this?
PG Wodehouse rocks!

Blogging off,
Ranga

5 comments:

Vishal Grover said...

Its called pun - A play on words, sometimes on different senses of the same word and sometimes on the similar sense or sound of different words.

I think it was GBS who said that pun is the lowest form of humour. So, that explains the status of PJs :)

Colourking said...

hmm... you are right. That is my view too!

But there is at least one person on campus who doesnt agree to a pun being called a PJ (refer B'day NB) :-))

Manu Raja said...

Try Saki dude...I mean, PGW is my favourite too, but Saki is the height of Satire too. Try Clovis' and Reginald's adventures...

Bhars said...

A recent example of Ranga's Kadis

Friend: Those who had taken FORM would have cracked IPM end term...

Ranga: We are not able to use FORM in FORM exam itself, talk about using it in IPM exam (deep sigh)

Friend: ??!!!??!!!

Ravi said...

hmmmn..every 8th blog i visit has a tribute to Wodehouse..
yah, plum rocks !!
and comparing puns with PJs is like comparing nice orange oranges with rotten apples !!
Noodle