Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Of Wodehouse, Vedanta and Long distance runs...Part II

Been ages since I blogged. Need to get back to a more disciplined habit again. Maybe keeping the posts shorter should help!

Nearly 8 months have flown by since the last post, yet the title for the blog seems surprisingly fitting. So many incidents in the past few months can still be attributed to Wodehouse, Vedanta and Long distance runs... though more figuratively than literally.

I have always been an admirer of PG Wodehouse's brilliant style of wit and the way he takes a 'not-too-serious' view of life. I implement it in my own way by cracking "witticisms" (the purists may sneer and say .. "PJ" - but who cares! :P) and taking potshots at normal, day-to-day situations. Am thinking of putting up a collection of my PJs on this blog. Should be up shortly... Life ain't worth taking too seriously.., so don't!

One of my friends (Shubhang) used to love the quote below:
" First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you
win" - Mahatma Gandhi

The same way, PJs are infectious :-) . It has been over a year to convert some of my colleagues to my way of thinking, but the Force shall prevail :). As for Vedanta, life teaches lessons on detachment all the time... and the essence of Vedanta seems to be "Detachment". The true karmayogi is supposed to be Detached from the consequences yet 'engaged' in action.. that is a remarkable balance to achieve. There have been just a few instances in my life where I could genuinely say I was in that state. But it was a 'divine' feeling to experience!It should be possible to achieve that state more regularly with discipline... need to work that out. And long distance runs! I Completed the Mumbai half marathon in January this year and have been running off and on afterwards.. it is a PHENOMENAL feeling to get.. tired and excited at the same time. Waiting in the queue for nearly an hour and a half immediately after the marathon, to collect my completion certificate was a pain beyond words though... AARGH!! There were a lot of things to learn from the marathon, the primary ones being

  • It is not the person who runs fastest that wins the race, it is the one with the greatest average speed!
  • It is no use straining yourself in the beginning, to drop out of the race later
  • Never go by what other people say! Have complete belief in yourself..
  • Warm up (preparation) before a race is crucial!

One of the biggest complaints against consultants as a race is that " They think and say a lot but do very little" - I shall prove them wrong!

1 comment:

Vivek Singh said...

good to see u blog after a long break.. waiting for u to start a photoblog as well.. would be nice..

as far as the last line of the post goes.. this is what I have to add.. "Only time will tell Ranga."

Best of Luck!