Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Of Wintry nights and Cold Baths...

WOW!

The Winter in Ahmedabad is simply amazing. We are into February but the winter shows no signs of lessening. The cold wave started off in November sometime I believe. I heard this winter was bad even by Ahmedabad standards. But then I have found the whole experience extremely enjoyable. Very strange, considering that I have spent most of my life in a place where the lowest it ever comes to is around 20 degrees C.

It reminds me of another entry that my friend posted sometime back... totally unexplicable behaviour from a couple of equatorial sojourners. But then, I think it might have something to do with the fact that we enjoy the cold weather so much that we like feeling colder than the normal Northie. Even then I find it strange while I go to class boldly flaunting a short half sleeve cotton t-shirt while many of my friends come in leather jackets, full sleeved sweaters and what not... maybe it has something to do with the cold water baths I take every morning.

It is a totally unique experience to have a cold water bath in the middle of winter. I mean... imagine this situation. You just get out of your bed (muttering curses under your breath) at 6 am in the morning. After some time, you dare to venture out of the comfort and warmth of your room to get ready for classes. You quickly towards the bathroom and open the shower tap. Brrrrrrrrrr..... It is like being pierced with a thousand sharp needles all at one time. But then your body gets used to the temperature and you shake of your sleepiness faster than a dog shakes off water off its back. Believe me, once you get over that first cold drenching, it is a totally refreshing experience.

These bathroom exploits of mine have been the subject of many an amazed look from my dorm mates :-D. Somehow, that makes it even more fun. Most importantly, the coldness of the bath makes the winter air much more comfortable...

Too much on this already... better stop before the reader gets cold feet!!! ;-) (and stops reading.)

Sitan

No comments: