Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Update

Not good, not bad. We did a decent job in our presentation today but probably failed to get the insights into the case that our prof would have liked us to have had. But still, I rest easy on the comfort that I had given a lot of thought to the case and was very thorough with the case facts.

Still, today's experience made me realise that there might be a lot of hard work that goes into some task but finally, the quality of the presentation may not have anything to do with the hours of work that goes behind its making. Our presentation reflected genuine effort, but probably clarity in terms of the course learning could have been better.

This also taught me another important lesson. Trying to second-guess questions might be a good defensive strategy but it will not help me achieve excellence. The true happiness from doing things well will arise when it is a path of self discovery. No amount of external teaching or argument will help me get the joy I derive from self learning.

Ranga

2 comments:

Vishal Grover said...

I would differ with you here. The aim of a presentation is to convey something to the audience. So presentation as opposed to learning needs to be tuned to what the audience is looking for. Second guessing questions or preparing your slides to address the concerns of the audience rather than what you think is important makes sense to me.

Colourking said...

well, actually my concern stemmed from the fact that if all you tried to prepare for in the presentation was a possible set of angles, you might miss the essence of the case in some sense, which is what we did. On the other hand, if the understanding of the case and the business scenario was done purely from an intellectual standpoint, examining and validating assumptions and inferences, I dont think we would have had problems facing questioning from multiple angles either.